Monday, January 27, 2003

Here's the semi-official invitation to come look over my virtual shoulder:

Dear person on my mailing list,

I have succumbed to the narcotic tentacles of Blogger.com and will likely be posting a daily mishmash of uncategorical mental rubbish to appease mystrange and obscure urges to populate the infosphere with my creative spoor.

And thanks to the Web, you can be there as it happens!

It's even better than reality-based television!

----

I shouldn't have used the word "plodding" in reference to Neal Stephenson's book. "Plodding" is more than likely what one does when reading something by Thomas Pynchon (despite his not inconsiderable ability). "Cryptonomicon" is a rich, hysterically funny book. Unless it takes a sudden nose-dive, I expect it to be the best book I've read in a while. On my "to-read" list at the moment are Peter Watts' "Maelstrom," Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" (the Barnes & Noble up the street is going to give me a call when it arrives, although chances are it's already arrived and they're simply waiting for the designated release date), Bruce Sterling's "Zeitgeist" (which didn't really appeal to me until I read "Tomorrow Now"), and Ken MacLeod's "Dark Light." MacLeod is singular. He brings a techno-political sensibility to bear on contemporary space opera. See my science fiction reviews for more of this sort of thing, if you're interested.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am not familiar with those nooks and also authors that you have mentioned in your blog. However, I do appreciate your invitation. Maye there are some readers who are interested with your science reviews. Keep posting.

Dorothy

Blog: pâte à pizza