Friday, July 18, 2003

Are you reading this, OSHA?

I suffer from can be best described as sensory deprivation when working in a sterile office environment. The worst symptom is of somehow changing positions within the building. This creepy feeling of displacement usually comes on after an abrupt change of schedule (i.e., an unscheduled staff meeting). After the unscheduled event has ended, I return to my cubicle only to find that my body can't convince my brain where exactly I am (or is it the other way around?) It's a strange feeling of being somehow adrift or unanchored. I can look at my surroundings and know, intellectually, that my cubicle is in the same damned place it used to be. But my intuitive sense will have none of it. The same sort of uneasiness can be reproduced, in a way, by overpondering M.C. Escher drawings.

No comments: