Monday, July 07, 2003

This evening I introduced my cats to a palm-sized canvas bag full of "Cosmic Country Cantnip." They love it. No, "love" doesn't quite convey it. "Frantic infatuation" is probably more accurate.

I have, on my hard drive, the next-to-final version of my Mars book. Essentially all I have to do is correct some line edits, split/combine a couple chapters and add a bit more introductory material and we're laughin'.

I just got back from the coffeeshop, where I almost finished "Spaceland." Expect my review tomorrow or possibly the day after. Prediction: It will be favorable. Like some other books by Rucker, it starts slowly but gets satisfyingly weird.




The view from Sagan Memorial Station, Mars.



Today I logged over 800 hits to my Mars site from the online interview I mentioned a while ago. Monday is typically a big day, but 800 is a lot, especially from one referrer. And the day isn't over.

The sink-repair guy hasn't been back. I'm glad -- I don't like the idea of strangers in my apartment while I'm away -- but at the same time I'm afraid to drink the water from my kitchen. While filling ice-cube trays, I noticed that it's worringly effervescent, like some sort of science-fair experiment. Whatever. I suppose if I start mutating I might get free rent. Perhaps I'll awake from uneasy dreams and find myself transformed into a giant insect. This would have its advantages. For one: no more waiting for the elevator. I could scale nine floors by crawling down the outside of my building. And at night I could keep cool by keeping low to the floor.

No comments: