Monday, September 08, 2003

My thoughts on Michael Cremo's "Human Devolution" resulted in some interesting correspondence. (No, I am not a Hare Krishna.) The disturbingly popular Rense.com and Cremo himself, on his "Human Devolution" homepage (click "Reviews"), are carrying the version of the essay I posted on my Mars site.

Since I have yet to finish Cremo's book, I hope including his ideas on my website isn't construed as an "endorsement"; I'm giving his hypothesis a chance, but at the same time I'm naturally skeptical. Most people seem to operate on the quaint assumption that one is necessarily a "believer" or a "disbeliever." I prefer to keep my conclusions in a state of willful flux, as unforeseen new developments always threaten to challenge the prevailing paradigm.

I'm half-done with John Shirley's "Eclipse." It's a scattered book, but when it hits its stride it moves like a laser.

No comments: