Monday, June 28, 2004

I drink lots of espresso. I prefer to drink it out of ceramic; those Dixie-sized paper cups are somehow demeaning. I think $1.80 warrants the classy white porcelain treatment.

The problem is that ceramic drinkware (is that a word?) scarcely keeps the espresso any warmer than the corporate paper substitute.

So I've an idea. Why not run toaster-like electrical filaments through the ceramic to keep the drink hot? Power source, you ask? No problem. I think a lithium-ion battery, similar to those used in the matchbook-sized cellphones you see everywhere, should suffice nicely. The manufacturer could even attach an activation button to the handle so the discerning espresso-drinker could use coveted battery power when s/he needs it most -- which is typically right before you're finished, and there's only a shallow pool of rapidly cooling, inky-dark espresso at the bottom of the cup . . .

No comments: