Thursday, August 19, 2004





I'm finally reading Max Barry's "Jennifer Government." I had an overwhelming but undefined urge to buy a book today, and this is what I ended up with (after two trips to the bookstore and several hours of diligent browsing). I'm enjoying "Jennifer" -- it would make a great movie -- but I've got a nagging critical voice-over decrying all of the things I would have done differently if I'd written it.

A fairly new author I've been totally remiss in catching up with is Cory Doctorow ("Eastern Standard Tribe").

Of course, all of this is dodging the whole point: What am I writing? Good question. What I've got now is bits and pieces. Some good stuff, some irrelevant stuff and some downright illegible stuff that I had the good sense to abandon. I have half a mind to discard the idea of linear narrative altogether and write something along the lines of "Naked Lunch" -- assuming I haven't squandered my chances of publishing fiction by writing a nonfiction book about aliens.

The tentative title for my equally tentative new nonfiction effort, incidentally, is "The Postbiological Cosmos: Artificial Intelligence and Alien Visitation."

No comments: