Saturday, October 16, 2004





I read in "Vanity Fair" that model Gisele Bundchen is 24 years old. 24? Good Christ -- I'm not sure I even remember 24! I'd never given Bundchen's age much thought, but if I'd been forced to guess I suppose I might have volunteered 30 or so. Not because she necessarily looks any older than I do, but because something in me recoils slightly at the thought of her being younger; it's oddly emasculating.

Supermodels inhabit this strange liminal reality where concepts such as age become peripheral or meaningless. They don't exist in the same chronological matrix as you and I; they simply are.

Of course, the media wouldn't have it any other way. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

1 comment:

Amanda and SuperAmanda™ said...

Those breasts are by photoshop!!