Friday, October 01, 2004

It looks like Carol was right on with her suggestion that I've been experiencing entoptic imagery. Several of the animated "glyphs" on this interesting website are quite familiar. In my own "visions," they tend to congregate and form vague, arresting shapes that flow and "morph," forming and vanishing at the speed of thought.

If entoptic images are indeed responsible for shamanic art, then perhaps I've inadvertently managed to hack my brain's operating system. For whatever reason, my mind is conducting what amounts to a synaptic ink-blot test. If I lived in a Paleolithic culture, I imagine I'd scrawl my impressions on cave walls for others to wonder at. Because they'd obviously be signals from the gods, or the elements, or Gaia, or whatever -- full of portent and significance.

In my opinion, their being the product of my own brain makes them no less intriguing.

No comments: