Saturday, January 29, 2005

Revenge of the Right Brain

"If the Industrial Age was built on people's backs, and the Information Age on people's left hemispheres, the Conceptual Age is being built on people's right hemispheres. We've progressed from a society of farmers to a society of factory workers to a society of knowledge workers. And now we're progressing yet again - to a society of creators and empathizers, pattern recognizers, and meaning makers."

For my own sake, I hope this article isn't the product of wishful thinking. In a sense, this blog is an exercise in pattern recognition; I admit to a certain affinity for William Gibson's characters Colin Laney ("Idoru," "All Tomorrow's Parties") and Cayce Pollard ("Pattern Recognition"). I suppose the critical difference is that Laney and Pollard are well-paid for their right-brained intuitive savvy, while I pursue "weirdhunting" purely for the fun of it . . . although if you want to send me money, I won't argue.

No comments: