Sunday, November 13, 2005

I'm back from St. Louis (pictures forthcoming). "Elizabeth" and I are thinking about opening a modest coffeeshop; it will have an outer-space theme (of course) and hopefully serve as a meatspace nodal point for some of the activity that colors my mental life. And yes, we'll have free Wi-Fi.

Lots of good stuff posted while I was away. Take Rudy Rucker's latest:

Computers Will Be Alive and Intelligent

So if we grant that human consciousness is a particular kind of physical process occurring in human bodies, and if we grant that physics is made up of deterministic computations, then we have to conclude that consciousness is a kind of computation.


I'm genuinely galled that sales of "The Lifebox, The Seashell and the Soul" aren't living up to Rucker's expectations (yet). Books with dialectic meat on their bones frighten readers and send reviewers positively cowering. Sometimes I wonder how "Apocalypse" would have done had I actually claimed telepathic contact with ancient Martians a la Courtney Brown's "Cosmic Voyage."*

*Not that I'd ever knowingly indulge in a literary hoax. Not only is the memesphere too precious, it's just not my thing. So if I ever do write a book about my personal dealing with Martians (or other extraterrestrials), you can be sure I'm telling the truth.

What's playing:

1.) Viva Hate (Morrissey)
2.) Franz Ferdinand (Franz Ferdinand)
3.) Reveal (R.E.M.)
4.) File Under Burroughs (various)
5.) Reality (David Bowie)

4 comments:

Mac said...

AC--

I'll do whatever I need to do, but eventually the idea is I'll be more or less behind the scenes.

We'll have a lending library, too.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of a name for this potential coffee shop and when are you opening one in Boston?

Mac said...

Infotheorem--

No concrete decisions yet, but I kind of like "Cafe Kafka" or -- possibly -- "Mac's." (The latter will at least be easy to remember.)

But chances are we'll think of something better.

Mac said...

Conversation? We can do that ... for a small charge, of course! ;-)