Saturday, December 10, 2005





I'm suffering from a recurring dream. Although the precise scenery may vary, the dilemma is the same: I must escape from glad-handing corporate zombies who will stop at nothing to keep me confined to their offices: ill-lit hives populated by drone-like employees. All seem to understand their jobs but me.

I rebel, but quitting isn't easy. There is no door -- just endless fluorescently lit corridors and occasional windows that gaze out onto unfamiliar suburban landscapes. And even though I'm entirely unproductive, my omniscient employers go to extremes to detain me, up to and including chemical restraint.

These dreams persist through the morning as I fade in and out of sleep; part of me doesn't want to succumb to wakefulness until I've managed to escape. But sometimes escape never comes, and if it does it has a disappointing contrived texture, like the tacked-on "happy" ending that mars the theatrical version of "Blade Runner."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean we have to start calling you Missster Anderson?

Check the back of your neck for plugs ASAP.

Gerald T said...

I viewed the end of the directors cut of Blade Runner last month, I seem to remember that it ended with words about the short life expectancy of replicants.
I guess this was a commentary on how we are set up to die quick in this messed up 3D matrix we live in. Funny that there exists a happy drive in the country ending also, can it be that we face two endings in this existence? Is this yet another manifestation of what Philip K D called…

“The themes of enslavement and then salvation, or fallen man liberated -- these are stamped from the original mold of Christian revolutionary against the legions of Roman force. In a sense nothing has happened since A.D. 70. The archetypal crisis is continually reenacted
This is the bedrock dialectic: liberation (salvation) against enslavement (sin or the fallen state). Inasmuch as the artifact enslaves men, without their even suspecting it, the artifact and its projected world can be said to be "hostile," which means devoted to enslavement, deception, and spiritual death.
That even this is utilized by the Urgrund, which utilizes everything, is a sacred secret and hard to understand. It can be said that the liberating penetration of the projected world by the Urgrund is the final and absolute victory of freedom, of salvation, of Christ Himself; it is the beautiful resolution of a timeless conflict.”

Anonymous said...

i advise looking for a fire alarm if at all possible next time you find your self in cube-farmland dreamzones...

or maybe summon what you know...mars.

i would think that the concept of mars that you have inside your subconscious would destabilize any dream scenerio that is currently playing in your REM cycle.

hope this helps.

Mac said...

Eyemage--

Interesting ideas. Maybe the trick is to "go lucid."

platts42 said...

Heh...You're dream is my reality.