Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Satellite closes in on Noah's Ark mystery

Images taken by aircraft, intelligence-gathering satellites and commercial remote-sensing spacecraft are fueling an intensive study of the intriguing oddity. But whether the anomaly is some geological quirk of nature, playful shadows, a human-made structure of some sort, or simply nothing at all remains to be seen.


My first inclination is to write this off as the wishful thinking of Fundamentalists. After all, I think we can be reasonably certain that the ark described in the Bible is allegorical, at most a bit of mythology recycled from truly ancient times. But my skepticism doesn't stand in my way of wanting to know what the "Ararat anomaly" really is. If it's a giant ark, let's see it; I like to think that I'm intellectually flexible enough to roll with the evidential punches, regardless how unseemly they might appear.

Of course, if the anomaly is a man-made craft of some kind, it doesn't necessarily follow that Noah built it, which I suspect has become a neglected point by commentators on both sides of the debate.

By all means, let's take a closer look. Oh, and while we're at it, there's this region on Mars called Cydonia . . .

1 comment:

Jason said...

Mr. Bear, obviously the wooden ark was held together with the assistance of angel dust. That's how I'm held together, and it works!