Thursday, April 13, 2006

Boing Boing on the Martian "Happy Face" crater:

Happy Face on Mars

It's not quite as dramatic of the famous Viking photo of the "Face on Mars" taken in 1976, but I really like the subtlety of the Happy Face crater.


I, for one, find the "Happy Face" very unsubtle. As Stan McDaniel has pointed out, it fails to pass muster even as a cartoon. Contrastingly, the "Face" in Cydonia shows some truly provocative facial subtleties, not the least of which is a developed "eye" -- right where an eye should be, if the Face is by some chance the work of intelligence.

4 comments:

Carol Maltby said...

That one turns out to be a 2002 image. I've put some feelers out on a couple of forums to see if it was originally commented on back then.

I kind of like the way the new Happy Face image looks like someone jabbed its head with an ice pick. It seems somehow appropriate. :)

Mac said...

This is the first thing I've seen that looks actually anomalous.

Rest assured this is the tip of the iceberg.

Carol Maltby said...

Okay, Starjim found the thread where Chronos posted the image in 2003 (I haven't read the rest of the discusssion yet).

http://anomalyhunters.com/cgi-bin/marsbbs/webbbsarch1_config.pl/noframes/read/7670

Jason said...

I love this blog, but I'm not thrilled with the Mars stuff. I keep up with Hoagland because I find it amusing... kind of like finding facial features (probably Jesus, naturally) in a tortilla.