Saturday, April 22, 2006

I suppose the reason I wanted to go to graduate school was because I assumed I'd be around "smart" people -- a decided improvement on my typical daily situation. But now, upon reflection, I'm wondering just how "smart" these hypothetical fellow students would have been. All the evidence points toward "not very."

True, I'm biased because of attending a truly foul undergraduate school. Maybe I'm being too harsh or too eager to vilify what has become a threatening social milieu. (Because when you're alone -- truly isolated and cast adrift -- reality becomes scary, defined by encounters with indifferent strangers.)

I wonder what consensus reality would look like if it could assume a human persona. I'm guessing a sharp-dressed corporate glad-hander with gleaming teeth, fastidiously coifed hair and a discrete Promise Keepers emblem pinned to his lapel. You look at him and he smiles a gamma-ray smile, eyes glazed and aimless in their sockets. And everyone else smiles in unison, because everything's OK.

4 comments:

platts42 said...

Everyone I know in grad school goes through 2 or 3 stages.

Yay I'm in Grad School.

Holy Shit, I'm in Grad School. This sucks.

How am I going to get grants/a job so I don't have to leave the world of Academia?

But on the whole, the 10 or 12 people I know, are glad to have done it. One gal I know got her Masters in English and spent the next 10 years working around the world and has currently wrapped up her doctorate and get this...she lives in Hawaii. Think about THAT!

platts42 said...

BTW, everyone I know...they are still themselves. No one had given themselves over to the Dark Side, and actually I think the number I know is 20 or so in the final count.

Jason said...

I completed an MFA program in creative writing, which I have to think is not your typical graduate school experience. I'm still on the fence about the value of the education, but many, many of my fellow students turned out to be incredibly interesting, articulate, and compelling people--even the ones who turned out to be mediocre writers.

contactos en valencia said...

Really helpful data, lots of thanks for your post.