Friday, July 28, 2006





I set foot in a mall yesterday for the first time in ages. I was amazed at the proliferation of cellphone venders; an alien tourist might surmise that chatting on cellphones is one of the defining aspects of the human experience. And he/she might very well be right.





I like the architecture of malls, the profusion of logos, the immaculate surfaces. I have recurring dreams of shopping malls gutted and transformed into refuges -- miniature indoor cities so steeped in human entropy they've become virtually organic: horrific amalgams of commerce, habitation and debris.

4 comments:

platts42 said...

They remind me of what Christian Heaven is supposed to be like. White marble floors, muzak, all the earthly goods one could want. Drop a 3rd Worlder there and watch the wonder.

I took my Great Aunt to the Mall years ago after it was redone in the Heaven motif and she had a neural breakdown. Stimuli overload. We were there 15 minutes when she demanded to be taken home.

Yeah I agree. The aliens would think we are merely organic phone transport devices. I hate my fucking phone. Everyone sounds like they're underwater.

Mac said...

I hate my fucking phone.

I love mine, but I rarely use it as a phone. It's more of a mini entertainment/e-mail machine.

Mac said...

I hate my fucking phone.

I love mine, but I rarely use it as a phone. It's more of a mini entertainment/e-mail machine.

¡Benjaminista! said...

A lyric from Modest Mouse always comes to me when I'm in a mall:

"Let's all have another Orange Julius
Thick syrup standing in lines
The malls are the soon to be ghost towns
Well so long, farewell, goodbye"