Monday, November 20, 2006

Synesthetic art and interpretation

While neurotypicals are able to perceive and appreciate synesthetic art, their subjective interpretation of these works may not be entirely complete or accurate. Some synesthetes create art to convey the synesthetic experience, while others use their condition simply to create novel works of art that can only really be fully appreciated by themselves or other synesthetes. In this sense, their condition can be construed as a cognitive gift allowing for multi-sensory and cross-sensory artistic expression and interpretation. It is not inconceivable that future neurotechnologies may endow some willing neurotypicals with synesthete like capabilities so that they may partake in this type of art.


When I was a child it seemed inconceivable to me that music and sounds didn't evoke colorful abstract patterns in the minds of all who heard them. It made perfect sense that I should be able to draw music that others could readily decipher, or expect my mom to understand what I meant when I described a singer's voice as resembling a carrot.

Twenty years later and I'm still trying to figure out the neurotypicals.

2 comments:

razorsmile said...

Why you lucky bastard.

Mac said...

I don't think "neurotypical" necessarily denotes stupid or mediocre. It just means you're working within the bounds of a classic operating system; what you actually *do* within those bounds is up to you.