Friday, January 12, 2007

Not only has "After the Martian Apocalypse" gone missing from Amazon.com, it seems to be effectively AWOL across the board. E-book editions are available in abundance, but the "real" book has more or less vanished. Barnes & Noble doesn't even stock it in their warehouses anymore.

I know there are copies out there. Probably lots of them. And I know for a fact that there's at least some demand for it -- which might explain why Amazon's sole used copy is going for the absurd price of nearly $80. (I received an email this morning from a reader who wants to buy a copy but can't. Needless to say, this is frustrating for both of us.)

Anyway, I'm making inquiries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Odd thing is that I have a vague recollection that maybe a couple of months after it came out I looked to see how many copies were on the used book marketplace, just out of curiosity. Looked at Amazon, saw maybe 30 or 40 copies available (undoubtedly some had gone out as review copies), starting at 75 cents (ouch!). I don't think I mentioned it, didn't want to give such discouraging news. But clearly that slack tightened up.

We could speculate that it was debunkers trying to sweep it off the market, but they pretty much ignore you since they don't acknowledge the existence of anyone who is smaller than Hoagland.

Definitely get a full accounting from Paraview, and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Anonymous said...

Mac does get pretty good Net coverage, with interviews and things like Paul's symposium. It may be that all that publicity was sufficient to use up all the spare copies available.

What was the original print run?

Mac said...

What was the original print run?

I don't remember. Hopefully I'll know some more about ATMA's whereabouts in a few days. Assuming the Men In Black allow it ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh man...and here my copy was a casualty of moving six months ago and I've been delaying buying a new copy! Hope I didn't wait too long...we need answers! ;-)