Tuesday, September 04, 2007

About a month ago I was walking back to my apartment from my nightly pilgrimage to the J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain and noticed a girl who seemed to be following me. Her stride was mincing yet speedy, as if timed to keep her in my vicinity.

I walked past numerous storefronts before deciding, on a whim, to enter Barnes & Noble. Sure enough, the girl followed. Wondering how long -- if at all -- she'd accompany me, I took the escalators to the third floor. Looking down on the customers from above, I didn't see her. Later, after perusing the science fiction section, I didn't see any sign of her on the second or third floors. So it wasn't as if she'd been bent on cornering me.

Today I saw her again at the library. I was eating a parfait in the lobby and suddenly she was there, looking at me with what seemed like elusive fascination. I noticed that her forearms were riddled with scar tissue, as if she had spent several hours diligently slicing herself with a razor blade. "Goth" affectation or the aftermath of something darker?

"I think I've seen you around here," I said.

I sensed some sort of nonverbal affirmation. When she spoke, the words were swift and purged of nuance, almost clinical: "What are you eating?"

"A parfait." Somehow a justification seemed in order. "Instead of my usual coffee."

"What's your name?"

"Mac. Yours?"

"Libby."

And then she left, as furtive and strange as when I'd first seen her. I don't think she stuck around to follow me: for her seeming interest, she struck me as too preoccupied and inherently migrant for anything as time-consuming as petty stalking.

13 comments:

SmedRock said...

Run like hell!

Mac said...

She's not actively scary -- just odd ... and kind of cute. Of course, it's not like I know her; she could be a serial killer for all I know.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes..people just need somebody just to be nice, and acknowledge them, that they are not phantoms, or ghosts waiting their time to fade away..you may have done that for her..and somehow I get the feeling..she did that for you as well...

SyS

Anonymous said...

ask her out for lunch next time.

Anonymous said...

"I noticed that her forearms were riddled with scar tissue, as if she had spent several hours diligently slicing herself with a razor blade."

Lunch? Not a real good idea, IMHO.

Maybe coffee, in a public place, where you can subtly explore her back story--"say, I noticed your scars? What's that about?" Hmmm. That might not be very subtle...

At least she might have something interesting to say, but of course the potential tradeoff is that then she might really want to stalk you.

Remember that movie with Glenn Close? "I WON'T be ignored!!!"

SmedRock said...

I stand by my original statement.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Whitley Strieber's folks at the bookstore, to me. Of course, Jacobs would say she's a late-stage hybrid- they want your genetic stock.

Anonymous said...

I'd, personally, stand by that "Goth" affectation. Perhaps she merely saw you as interesting. People, myself included, often indulge themselves in following others. Haven't you seen Ghost World? Mostly its for amusement. However, if she's no longer amused, then she's clearly unhappy. There are different breeds.

Mac said...

Sounds like Whitley Strieber's folks at the bookstore, to me. Of course, Jacobs would say she's a late-stage hybrid- they want your genetic stock.

I'd thought of that... ;-)

gregory said...

ah, the energy i felt from reading your post, and i of course assume that you feel the same, right or wrong, but it was remarkable enough for you to post, is that this is someone that you have something to do with here, and if you see her again, open to it even more than you already have... what can you lose?

Anonymous said...

Mac, you need to get laid badly.

Stan

Mac said...

Mac, you need to get laid badly.

Probably.

Anonymous said...

She had to be hot or you wouldn't have blogged about her. If you see her again, ask her out. If it turns into sex, handcuff her! (Safety First!)