Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mac Tonnies: Author, blogger . . . and now a playwright

Doing Time will be the first production for produced by my new theatre company, Semaphore Theatre. It's set to run from November 28th to December 1st here in Halifax - I'll be in the director's chair, and Kris McBride has already been cast in one of the lead roles. Casting for the other three roles is taking place this week here in Halifax (at the same time as I'm tweaking the script).

I think Mac has done a fine job in adapting the original short story into a play. The dialogue crackles, and the sci-fi oriented plot will definitely be something new for Halifax audiences. Hopefully we'll have a successful run, and then take the show on the road next year to various fringe theatre festivals. I'll also be filming it (because that's what I do, after all).


I'm usually incredibly stingy when it comes to anything smacking of collaboration, but in the case of "Doing Time" everything came together smoothly (aside from my repeatedly delayed delivery of the actual play; I finally asked Paul to give me a deadline, which seemed to work). Even better, I'll probably be in the audience to see this project culminate on an actual stage.

5 comments:

Paul Kimball said...

I think folks are gonna dig this production! The script is great stuff, especially now that I've added my two cents worth and snagged my co-writer credit! ;-)

Surely a 500 play mega-deal is on the horizon!

Paul

Paul Kimball said...

P.S. Halifax is looking forward to seeing you again!

Crypto MT - back in the 902!

Mac said...

Surely a 500 play mega-deal is on the horizon!

No comment! ;-)

Greg Bishop said...

Congrats to all!

Please send me a DVD autographed by both of you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, congratulations Mac and Paul.
I'd like to read the script and/or see the DVD when available.

Oh, and don't get a swelled head until you can gauge the audience reaction over the term of the play. 8^}